Saturday, May 7, 2011

I am a brother

I am the middle child of three. My older brother is about 3.5 years older than me. My younger brother is almost exactly 1 year younger than me. My entire life I've been very close to both of my brothers, and have many times been confused with the amount of distaste I see in friends of mine and their siblings. Now that I'm older, I really am almost uninterested in people besides my brothers. We all have similar tastes, and provide each other with almost instant availability when we need a friend to join us in doing something. I live with my brothers in a three person apartment up at college, and it looks like it's going to stay that way for a while. My older brother just graduated, but it seems as though he'll be coming back after the summer and finding a job around here so that he can live around us longer. I have a feeling that we may all end up living near each other when we become much older, too. 



I've often contemplated what decision I would make if I was offered two jobs, one high-paying and far away, and the other lower-paying but allowed me to live near my brothers. At this point I've come to the conclusion that I would most likely choose to live next to my brothers, as one's decisions in life should really reflect their greater goal. I'm not necessarily looking to be extremely rich, I just want to be happy. What makes me happy? The camaraderie and fellowship I get from being around people I know and trust.

So my question posed to you followers, do you have siblings? Are you close? Would you chose living near them long-term over a high-paying job?  
Coming up for Mother's Day, I am a son. 

24 comments:

  1. I have three siblings. We are meh close, more like acquaintances really. I would be all over that job, even I was close. They aren't going to stop being my siblings if I move, but high paying jobs don't come every day and those will go away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a sibling and yes we are close

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have three siblings. I loveeeee my little brother, I'd do anything for that kid. My older brother hated me for 15 years, but now we get a long decently, and me and my sister get a long well....Depends on which sibling. Little bro, yes

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'am the oldest one! I have to say that the only person that is quite important to me in my family is my mother. Probably I'd choose a highpaid job over my sisters but I wouldn't let my leisuretime suffer because of money.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got only one sister and she is great but sometimes we argue. IMHO You should choose this highpaid job, maybe it's your last offer like this?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate my brother. Your lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have one brother and we love each other, we're relatively close... but we both would definitely chose the high-paying and far away job! hahah

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm a only child...and pretty happy about that

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a younger sister and older brother, neither of which I really get a long with. Honestly even if I was I'd take the high paying job even if I means moving away. Everyone moves away eventually and it's not like you won't visit or call. Try to think about your own future.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have an older sister, but not really close enough to turn down a high enough paying job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As far as I'm concerned I'm an only child, but congrats on the relationship you have with your siblings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice conclusion man. WOuldnt you live away from your bros for a little bit to make moneys though?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm the oldest. I'm afraid that makes me better than you.
    But seriously, I would without a doubt take the high paying job. I live hundreds of miles from sister and that's how I want it, though I love her and all.
    Also, following

    ReplyDelete
  14. i have a brother and he is my favorite person in the world

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've got an older brother, but we aren't that close. It's a shame too, we used to be pretty tight. Your post has officially influenced me to call my brother and hang out with him. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've got a brother but he's a stranger to me really :(

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have an older sister; she lives in the UK, I live in South Africa. It is better this way.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, No, and has no effect. My siblings couldn't care less about me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. 1 younger sister, 500 miles away

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've got a younger sister who I was close to when we were very young. Over time we've grown distant but I've been getting back in touch with her recently. We'll never have what we've already lost, but it's good to know that she's still there.

    ReplyDelete
  21. My brother, that is 7 years older then me, teached me everything i know!

    He's a total bro! :D

    ReplyDelete